Hi lovelies and welcome back! Summer is coming to an end, well at least the summer holidays are. It’s all about getting back to uni, college or work and counting the days until Christmas now right? So we have the best comforting & easy to cook recipe for you: a delicious homemade ratatouille, to make those days or dark evenings even better!
Special Ratatouille with Couscous
& Feta Cheese
If this recipe is one of our favourites it’s because it lasts for ever (literally, still have some in the freezer), so it’s meal-planning friendly, super healthy & really tasty. But it’s also a great recipe because it’s as good on a hot summer day, than on a cold winter evening.
So you’re probably wondering what makes this recipe extra special, and why we are making such a big deal out of ratatouille… Well pals, it’s because we have added an extra ingredient that makes all the difference. An ingredient that adds sweetness and great flavour to already amazing & tasty vegetables. This ingredient is no other than red wine. Yes you read that right, we put red wine in our ratatouille, and trust us once you’ve tried it there’s no going back.
- 1 large aubergine
- 1 large courgette
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 250g onion
- 70g red pepper
- 70g green pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- 10cl red wine (or more if you wish)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Worcestershire sauce
Serves 8 or 16 depending on your appetite (we shared a serving in the photos)
- Wash and cut your aubergine, courgette and pepper into chunks. Then set aside in a bowl. Be careful not to cut your vegetables in small pieces as they will shrink once cooked (and we all know large chunks are yummier than thin slices).
- Roughly chop your onion and finely chop your garlic clove, then set aside in a separate bowl or chopping board.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and add the aubergine, courgette and pepper. Fry for approximately 5 mins, until the vegetables have softened but not entirely cooked. Then take them of the fire and place them back in the bowl.
- Heat another tablespoon of olive oil in your saucepan and add the onion & garlic. Cook until softened and golden (approximately 10 – 15 min).
- While your onions are cooking, roughly chop your tomatoes and set them aside with the other vegetables.
- Once your onions are done, add the pre-cooked vegetables and mix everything together over medium heat. Add the fresh tomatoes and canned tomatoes, and stir.
- Add a few drops of Worcestershire sauce and the red wine. Stir again.
- Cover your saucepan and simmer over low heat for about 30 – 35 mins.
Serve with warm couscous grains and crumbled feta cheese. Enjoy!
What is one of your favourite dishes to make, or signature dish?
See you soon, love
Corinne & Kirsty
You can also find us here